Job Title: Software Architect Department: Software Development
Reports to: Director of Manufacturing and R&D
Type of Position: Full-time
Hours per Week: Average of 40 hours per week
The Software Architect reports to the Director of Manufacturing and R&D and manages the Software Development team. This individual is a software development expert who makes high-level design choices and enforces technical standards, including software coding standard, tools and platforms. It is the responsibility of the Software Architect to execute an architectural vision, conceptualize design, experiment with alternative approaches, create models, interface documents, design software, lead others in the department and validate projects.
● Articulate the vision to key partners (software department, leadership team, engineering department, sales and service departments) and design a software strategy that will help make the ideas concrete.
● Evaluate and guide scalable, testable, and reliable architecture and subsequent development of a project.
● Coordinates with key partners to provide understanding of the technical feasibility of new roadmap items.
● Identifies and corrects ineffective or missing processes or tools which may be a hindrance to project execution.
● Proactively identifies risks, communicates them clearly to the key partners, and helps plan for success through mitigation options.
● Stays abreast of the latest technologies and industry trends to serve the interests and needs of Scinomix and its customers.
● Works cross functionally with engineering, sales and service teams to validate API, content and architecture decisions.
● Ability to learn the build of Scinomix products and systems on a holistic level.
● Develop a library of rules and templates for the Software department.
● Delegates to help manage internal legacy products and support.
● Consider existing architecture to make sure new products and designs fit well into the existing ecosystem.
● Design, develop, and test GUI application process.
● Some travel may be required; including visiting tradeshows to explore technology, or to a customer site to understand a process for which we are designing a product.
● Consult clients/colleagues, when necessary, concerning the performance and maintenance of software applications, asking questions to obtain information, clarify details, and implement enhancements/fixes based on gathered information.
● Ensure customer satisfaction is maintained by resolving problems in a timely, professional manner.
Professionalism & Growth
● Regularly update technical knowledge and skills.
● Problem-solve independently and/or through collaboration with other staff to meet company goals.
● Perform all job duties in a manner that will enable projects to be delivered on-time, within budget, and with the appropriate level of quality to meet the required specifications.
● Constantly strive to improve systems efficiency in all aspects of position.
Physical Demands & Requirements
● While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit, stand, stoop, kneel, bend, twist, reach, push, pull, and make coordinated movements of the fingers for using a keyboard.
● May require travel to other company facilities.
● Ability to lift up to 50 pounds for product testing.
● Digital dexterity and hand/eye coordination in operation of office equipment.
● Ability to speak to and hear customers and/or other employees via phone or in person.
● Maintain well-groomed, professional physical appearance.
● Bachelor’s degree in science, engineering or similar field (or equivalent) is preferred, as well as 15+ years of relevant experience.
● 10+ years of experience in a software engineering capacity.
● 5+ years of leadership experience – including leading teams and developing individuals.
● Deep understanding of software engineering and established best practices.
● Proficient in the use of VB, C+, C++, as well as Linux.
● Product design experience is required.
● Electrical or controls experience required.
● Have the ability to implement with minimal direction, be detail-oriented and have excellent follow-through skills.
● The ability to read and comprehend detailed specifications, data sheets and supplier correspondence.
● Ability to interpret standards, specifications, procedures, etc.
● Implementation of engineering software platforms, including gathering information and identifying processes.
● Must be able to function in a deadline driven environment. The ability to set deadlines and schedules and to complete goals on time. Effective project planning and execution skills; ability to multi-task and manage several projects at once.
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to interface with clients, suppliers and co-workers including but not limited to high technical subject matter.
● Must have the ability to make recommendations to effectively resolve problems or issues, by using judgement that is consistent with standards, practices, and policies.
● Able to positively impact company systems and procedures related to COGs, lean manufacturing, and training.