Job Title: Project Engineer
Reports to: Director of Manufacturing and R&D
Type of Position: Full-time
Hours per Week: Average of 40 hours per week
Develops difficult and complex working drawings from equipment specifications, engineering notes, sketches, and/or detailed drawings, ensuring that they meet company and industry standards and codes. Understands the materials and methods normally used within the assigned discipline. This position is responsible for design development and transition to production of aesthetically-pleasing, innovative, cost-effective and reproducible designs of lab automation equipment. This includes prototyping new designs as well as testing design changes to existing product line. Additional responsibilities are support of the drawings, produce Bill of Material and data sheets. This position is responsible for effective interdepartmental communication and adherence to procedures.
Base pay encompasses the following duties:
● Applies standard design principles and theories to complete assignments. Utilizes technical manuals to ensure compliance with company policies and applicable standards and codes such as ANSI, PFI, and ASME.
● Ensures compliance with required design safety factors, tolerances, and specifications.
● Compiles data and performs dimensional and routine calculations required for the preparation of drawings. Reads and understands orthographic (2D) and/or isometric (3D) designs and supplier/manufacturer drawings.
● Makes required changes, additions, and/or revisions, as directed by immediate supervisor
● Apply internal project management strategies and adhere to deadlines
● Participate in developing project plans, test plans, and writing test reports; assist with creating, maintaining, and revising product project plans and effectively communicate project deadlines
● Create product documentation: solid modeling of components and assemblies, technical drawings, BOM’s, etc.
● Work with Executive Team to improve general business practices and create efficient (leaner) workflow
● Generate acceptable profit margin through supply choices and recommendations
● Assists in generating improved profit margin on existing product line
● Work with Assembly Technician II and Service Technician to improve quality control process and assembly procedures
● Assist with equipment and software QC as needed
● Assist with basic customer service as a last resort responder (phone support)
Sales & Marketing
● Responsible for assisting Sales & Marketing team members by providing specs and drawing needed for customer requests, print material, and website development
● Learn and expand personal knowledge of the industry, competitors and the customers, to competitively enhance and grow the Company’s product capabilities
● Work with Sales Team to incorporate customer feedback in design changes and R&D projects
● Work with customers on design specifications and requirements when necessary
● Generate increased revenue through positive impact on product development
Professionalism & Growth
● Regularly update technical knowledge and skills.
● Problem-solve independently and/or through collaboration with other staff to meet company goals.
● Perform all job duties in a manner that will enable projects to be delivered on-time, within budget, and with the appropriate level of quality to meet the required specifications.
● Constantly strive to improve systems efficiency in all aspects of position.
Physical Demands & Requirements
● While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit, stand, stoop, kneel, bend, twist, reach, push, pull, and make coordinated movements of the fingers for using a keyboard
● Ability to lift up to 50 pounds for product testing
● Combination of general office and machine shop environment
● May require travel to other company facilities
● Digital dexterity and hand/eye coordination in operation of office equipment.
● Ability to speak to and hear customers and/or other employees via phone or in person.
● Maintain well-groomed, professional physical appearance
● 2-year technical degree or certificate of completion from an accredited designer/drafter course (or equivalent) is preferred, as well as 4+ years of relevant experience.
● Minimum of 2 years of 3D modeling software required, SolidWorks preferred
● 3D CAD work experience
● Proficiency in Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, Windows 7
● Plastic & Metal product design experience required
● Electrical or controls experience desired
● Experience working with multiple disciplines, including mechanical design, layout, manufacturing, external suppliers and service providers
● Self-starter with good organizational skills
● Have the ability to implement with minimal direction, be detail-oriented and have excellent follow-through skills
● A strong knowledge of fittings and components
● Excellent drawing skills for the creation of general arrangements and equipment detail drawings
● The ability to read and comprehend detailed specifications, data sheets and supplier correspondence. Ability to interpret standards, specifications, procedures, drawings, etc.; mechanical aptitude
● Implementation of engineering software platform, including gathering information and identifying processes
● Must be able to function in a deadline driven environment. The ability to set deadlines and schedules and to complete goals on time. Effective project planning and execution skills; ability to multi-task and manage several projects at once
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to interface with clients, suppliers and co-workers.
● Must have the ability to make recommendations to effectively resolve problems or issues, by using judgment that is consistent with standards, practices, and policies
● Able to impact positively company systems and procedures related to COGs, lean manufacturing, and assembly training